Today I am sitting in a marina office in the beautiful town of Cascais, Portugal. I am here so that I have access to internet connection and can communicate with family and friends. My planned trip of me getting across the Atlantic is in jeopardy due to unusually strong and unrelenting weather systems. If the weather is bad you do NOT leave. If you are already out there, get in someplace if possible or deal with the storm. Best not to be in it. On Thanksgiving day we finally left France. The boat did 750 miles down the coast of France, Spain and Portugal; but, now we have to sit in another port due to weather. I do not have unlimited time, so these delays can squash the best laid plans. I still may be able to do the crossing but that time window is closing fast. We will see. The sail/motor from Les Sables-d'Olonne, France was done in 3 days 6 hrs which is very good for a boat like the one I am on. It was rough water at times and somewhat smooth at others.
It was a mixed bag. We were tired as our 4 hour watches seemed to come around quickly. The sunrises and sunsets were beautiful. The stars at night, far from the light of land, were so clear. There was no moon so the number of stars was incredible. The Milky Way was perfectly visible. The extremely bright shooting star with it's brilliant green trail was a memorable sight. I am glad to seen them and want more. Best case is 4 more days of bad weather and then leave. Could be more. I will say that Cascais in Portugal has greatly exceeded my expectations. I love this place so I am making the best of it as a tourist but I do want to "get on the road." Hope all of you are excited about Christmas and all is well with each of you.